Thursday 12 July 2012

Coping with Depression

Before now I've talked about both positive thinking and coping with anxiety. In many ways, this ties in with both. I find that doing the following early in the morning can set me up with a really good mindset for the day, but also calm me down if I am feeling overwhelmed by the bad stuff.

Basically, it's something I've called, I love that I... That's the complete guidelines. Don't set yourself a number of statements to make, just start writing, and see where it goes.

I know many people who do similar things about what they're thankful for, but I find I can go on forever with lists like that, being thankful for oxygen and grass and just... everything.

I love that I... is a bit more personal. Bringing the focus to you. And because there's no guidelines over how much to write, it gives you complete freedom. You can only think of one thing? Great! Focus on that. You've reached 50 and are still going strong? Wonderful! But don't get bored and caught up in it. It doesn't matter if you don't include it all right now.

I post my I love that I... on my private blog, but here's some examples of what I write for myself - hopefully they can inspire you!

I love that I feel so beautiful.
I love that I never go hungry.
I love how fresh the rain makes it feel.
I love that me and my husband are so happily married.
I love that we can afford takeaways when we need them.
I love that there is hope.
I love our bunnies <3

And what is amazing, is that it doesn't matter when you do it. Multiple times a day, or even just once... Obviously if done regularly it will have a bigger impact on you, but just stopping for a moment to think what you love is a wonderful feeling. You may notice I don't quite stick to the whole phrase for all of mine! And that's fine. It's the concept that's important.

Go forth and love things!


No comments:

Post a Comment