Tuesday 18 October 2011

Genetics and ME.

Ask around the ME community and sooner or later you will reach the argument over the genetics with ME; both with the susceptibility to it, and the risk of passing it on to your children.

I view ME as an umbrella term. The variety of symptoms, experiences and triggers do not point to one distinct illness, but a multitude of undiagnosed problems with the primary symptoms of fatigue and pain.

However, I believe that there is a genetic disposition to developing ME. Why?

I have three siblings. Two of them developed ME in 1989, one recovered in the last 5 years, and the other is nearly recovered. (Although, interestingly, all three of us have had slightly different symptoms.)

Two of my cousins, on either side of the family, have been query ME, as have Uncles and Aunts.

I realise that's just one family, so let me throw in another example.

My sibling who has recovered from ME is married to someone who developed ME at a similar time to him. She is also nearly recovered now. At least 2 of her immediate family members have ME.


On the other hand, my husband is the only one affected in his family. It's not purely genetic...


I view the genetic side of things more as a disposition towards developing ME, rather than anything else. Of course I worry our children will develop ME, but they'll just have to be a bit more careful than other children would. That doesn't mean wrapping them in cotton wool, but it means letting them recover from every infection fully, and it means monitoring the effect of vaccinations on them from the beginning. I believe ME often starts when the immune system becomes overloaded - that can't be avoided initially, but it can be helped.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment